eCommerce Business Tips - Top 5 Tips From a 10 + Year Experienced Marketer
I’m writing this because I wish I knew this when I started in eCommerce marketing...
You might have found this article because you are looking for ways to grow your eCommerce B2C or B2B business. Having or managing an eCommerce business can be very exciting and fun but frustrating and discouraging because you do not see revenue coming in.
This is very common because selling online is a very difficult task. There are so many steps like:
- Paid Search PPC
- Social Media Ads
- Email Automation
- Customer Resource Management (CRM)
- User Journey
- Mobile Accessible
- Email Acquisition
And much more.....
Luckily, we will be able to provide you with the top 5 tips and tricks we learned from our own journey going into this business. This will help you save countless amount of time and frustrations because you can follow steps below and start seeing your revenue jump. If you prefer to watch a video summarizing this article, click video below:
In every business, the foundation for success is organization and structure. Here is the recipe we recommend for you to follow:
1. User Journey - This is the first evaluation you need to do. This entails the site presentation looking professional with no missing images or broken 404 links. IT ALL NEEDS TO LOOK PERFECT. Once you review the site, you now need the focus on the journey... can a first time user find what they are looking for and complete checkout with zero issues or confusion? Seeing a site over and over again, you might become blind to issues. I recommend having a fried or family review the site and look from behind to study their actions (this study helps more than you can believe).
2. PPC Paid Search / Social Ads - Next, you will want to work on a paid structure. Many marketers I have met do not agree with us because they said speak more in terms of SEO. While SEO is important, this will not bring you revenue or customers right away. A paid strategy is part of an eCommerce business and do not let anyone else tell you differently. Think about it, their are over a billion sites on the internet, how would anyone be able to find you if customers do not know you or your brand. Start paid and get on services like Google Ads and Bing Advertising. Start with Google shopping if you are selling a tangible product.
3. Lead Generation / Acquisition - How can you acquire a lead? How do you get a prospect to give you their information? This step works with Step 2 because we are already pushing users to your site. Get their information by offering a pop-up discount offer or you can have the lead provide their information in exchange for information like a eBook. Build your audience so you have users to market too.
4. Email Automation / CRM - Here you can get very creative. You will need to have you eCommerce system connected to your CRM. You can use tools like ActiveCampaign or Hubspot. You can step up a automation/workflow for just about anything like:
- Welcome series
- Re-engage series
- Advocate series
Email Marketing is also your lowest cost per acquisition.
5. Search Engine Optimization / SEO - The reason this is the last step in building your strategy is because you will not reap the benefits of SEO immediately. When it comes to SEO, you should see this as your long term strategy. When building this strategy, use tools like SEM Rush to help provide you with keywords users are using to help find your site. You may not see your site or new landing page rank on Google til 6 months. Now, SEO is very important and must be part of your monthly content strategy. Just know it will take time...
Follow the steps and you'll be on your way to revenue building revenue.
Want to learn more about your eCommerce business and increase revenue? Contact us today and see how we can help you make small changes that make a big impact.